The Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh
The Assembly Rooms is a former assembly rooms located in central Edinburgh, the rooms now host a number of events including the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and the Hogmanay celebrations. The building is protected as a category A listed building as "an outstanding example of the late 18th century public building, continuing its original use". The Assembly Rooms opened on 11 January 1787. The prominent site at the centre of George Street, in the centre of the recently established New Town, was donated by the town council. The Assembly Rooms was designed by John Henderson, a local architect, who died young shortly after the building was completed. The building was extended several times during the 19th century. In 1818 a portico was added by William Burn. Burn and his partner David Bryce designed the Music Hall in 1843. Finally, in 1907, new side wings were completed to designs by Robert Rowand Anderson and Balfour Paul.
After many years of use this fine Georgian Building came into a state of disrepair and and Nevin of Edinburgh won the contract for carrying out the refurbishment to the internal and external decoration. working tirelessly for over a year applying Over 3000 books of 23 3/4 carat gold leaf to the intracate cornice and architectural details of the Ballroom, Drawing Rooms, The Crush Hall and the world famous Music Hall by Nevin of Edinburgh's finely skilled craftsmen.
From Start to finish nearly 4000 litres of paint was applied by a team of 20 skilled tradesmen and apprentices. The overall appearance and finish by Nevin of Edinburgh is quite remarkable and returns one of Edinburgh's grandest buildings back to its finest splendour.