John Nevin - Managing Director
John founded Nevin of Edinburgh Ltd in 1977 at the age of 20. John then acquired JS Duncan, Leith, Mackay Decorators (Perth) Ltd. and JG Ness, Perth.
As well as running the Company, John also likes to pull his overalls on and work hand in hand with his employees. Being a master craftsmen and specializing in microscopy paint analysis, all types of spray finishes, gilding and many other decorative techniques. John takes great pride in passing his skills on to willing apprentices and teaching them the principles that have taken him and his company to where they are today.
With over 30 years experience working in all aspects of the painting trade from oil rigs to some of the finest stately homes in the UK, John knows that the fine attention to detail is key, ensuring 100% customer satisfaction and always striving for perfection.
- City & Guild with Distinction
- Advanced City & Guild with Distinction
- Wagner Spray Diploma
- Founder Member Traditional Paint Forum
- SDF Foreman of the Year
- McTaggart Microposy Course
- Gypsum Ames Taping Course
- Guild of Master Craftsmen
- Lectures on Historical Paints – Their Manufacture and Application
- Pigment Analysis and Historical Paint Schemes
- IPAF Demonstrator/Operative
- Pasma Demonstrator Operative
- CSCS; PASMA; Score Card
- Numerous H&S Awareness Courses
- Fellow of The Faculty of Decoration
Mark Nevin - Contracts Director
Mark started his apprenticeship in 2003 with the firm and attended Edinburghs Telford College. Mark from early in his career had shown a willingness to learn and be the best in his field. This was shown by his performance and ability when entered into regional, national and international competitions to which he excelled. Capped off by winning two gold medals at Worldskills Calgary Canada 2009.
During his short career Mark had shown a great level of competance and organisation and was promoted to foreman in 2008. Since then he has gone on to become a director with the firm and like his father enjoys working on site ensuring that the companies high standards are met on a daily basis.
Much like his father Mark believes in apprenticeships and keeping the traditional skills alive by teaching them to his apprentices. Keeping the skills going that were passed down to him making sure that even the new additions to the trade can produce levels of work that will match the standards required.
Mark specialises in the arts of graining, marbling, sign-writing, stencilling, guilding and free hand brush work. As well as being extremely competent at hanging all types of wallcoverings and the application of many materials using both airless and conventional spray systems. Mark has been responsible for overseeing many projects and is used to making sure that jobs are carried out on time and to specification. As contracts director Mark also makes sure his men carry out all works to a very high professional standard. Mark constantly strives for perfection and 100% customer satisfaction.
Competitions and Accolades
- 2003 - Telford College 1st Year Apprentice of the Year
- 2003 - Scottish Association of Painting Craft Teachers Craft Winner
- 2004 - Telford College 2nd Year Apprentice of the Year
- 2004 - Scottish Association of Painting Craft Teachers Craft Winner
- 2004 - Scottish Young Painter of the Year (Skillbuild Scottish Heat)
- 2004 - Scottish Young Decorator of the Year (Johnstones Scottish Heat)
- 2005 - Telford College Advanced Craft Apprentice of the Year
- 2005 - Scottish Association of Painting Craft Teachers Advanced Craft Winner
- 2005 - British Young Decorator of the Year (Crown paints and Skillbuild)
- 2005 - British Young Painter of the Year (Johnstone’s paints)
- 2009 - Gold Medalist in Catagory of Painting and Decorating, Calgary, Worldskills
- 2009 - Gold Medalist for Highest UK Individual Score, Calgary, World Skills
- 2009 - Winner of Young Scot of the Year – Heritage Category
- 2010 - Awarded City and Guilds Licentiateship Award for World Class Practitioner in Painting and Decorating
- 2010 - Awarded a Fellow Membership into the Faculty of Decoration
- 2010 - Awarded 1st Prize for Best Grainied Panel in International Graining and Marbling Competition
- 2012 - Awarded 1st Prize Best Grained Door in Decorative Arts Weekend
- Construction Skills, Painting and Decorating Skills Test Certificate
- PASMA Supervisor's Access Tower Inspection Course Certificate
- IPAF Mobile Elevated Working Platform Certificate
- Construction Skill Certification Scheme, Health and Safety Operatives Course
- Awarded SQA level 1,2 and 3 painting and decorating
- Awarded SQA advanced craft degree painting and decorating
- Awarded L.C.G.I. Certificate in Advanced Decoration
- Awarded a Fellow Membership into the Faculty of Decoration